Be Aware
Every day we wake up and head out into the world. Whether you are going to the grocery store, work, school, or a coffee shop you are surrounded with different people from all different walks of life. It is important to remember that not everyone has lived the life that you have. No matter where you come from, we all have our struggles and we all have stories to share.
Harris was a student at one of my first schools that I taught at. He was one of those students who challenged the limits of what was allowed and what he might get in trouble for. The behavior would typically cross over the line and would need to be redirected. From the time he came to the school from Germany in the 2nd grade through the 5th grade he made a name for himself. Throughout all the shenanigans that he caused there was something that made me really like this boy. Harris wasn't in my class, but I had seen him in other classes and would interact with him on the playground. There would be days that I would pull him over, so I could check in and see what good things were happening and what things he needed to work on were happening.
One day the principal called me into their office. He showed me some writing that had very graphic details in it. The details on the pages made the teacher cringe, but also caused alarm from the administration. The principal asked me if I had seen him writing at recess or if I new anything about the writings, since I talk with Harris on a daily basis. I didn't know anything, but I offered the principal assistance in the investigation which he gladly accepted. I sat in the office waiting for Harris to walk through that door I couldn't help reading the things he had been writing and thinking about talented he was at writing. Even though the writing contained inappropriate words and pictures, the writing was solid. The principal and I worked hours as we interviewed students and talked with district officials. Because of the nature of the writing, the police were even called.
When the school office manager called home, no one answered. The office manager then called the mother at work. When she answered the phone, the school told her who it was and told her that she needed to come down to the school. The answer was "No, I am busy." I can still remember watching the office manager as her jaw dropped and the look that came over her face was that of a parent that wanted more for a child. After multiple phone calls the school was able to get both parents to come in for a meeting.
Throughout the meeting the parents wanted to focus on the negatives and what he did wrong. I looked up and looked the boy straight in the eyes and said: "Do you like writing? You are an amazing writer." Through the tears the boy looked up and gave me a half smile. The conversation with the parents continued to twist and turn, never staying on one topic for more than a minute. I kept bringing the conversation back to Harris being a good writer. I told him that I enjoyed writing and that I would love to see him continue to write and change the style/content of his writings. The meeting was sad and full of tears/hurt feelings. The meeting ended and Harris was promised a brand new start the next day.
The next morning I had a period off, so I walked around the campus checking in on my colleagues, making sure everyone had what they needed for the day. I walked into Harris' class and as soon as he saw me, he waved me over with a big smile on his face. "Look", he said. "I started a new book about a wolf." I looked into his eyes and could see the excitement and need for some positive affirmation, which I tried to give him. He was so excited to be able to express himself as a writer, but needed a little guidance on appropriateness of the content.
Through the conversations with this student and his parents, I understood the importance of someone in your corner believing in you. I understood the importance of helping understand their strengths and showing them how to harness those strengths to share with the world.
Be The One who is aware enough to understand student strengths and share your insights on those strengths in students to show them that you are aware and believe in them.
Comments
Post a Comment