My #OneWord2017- Outside



As I read everyone’s #oneword2017, I sit and think what would be my word? After being challenged by #principalsinaction to reflect on 2016 and reading everyone’s #oneword2017 blog posts, I decided that my #oneword2017 would be, OUTSIDE.

Being a 1st year principal, I think that all the words that everyone has chosen, could definitely apply to me. I wanted a word that was encompassing to who I am as a father, husband, educator, and leader. The word OUTSIDE has many different meanings to me.

The word OUTSIDE reminds me to:

1.     Get up and get OUTSIDE of my office on a daily basis and get into classrooms and interact with kids and teachers on an intentional level. I want to me a leader that is involved and knows their school and is seen everywhere. Take every chance you get to explore and problem solve with kids. Build a reputation for being present and being OUTSIDE of the office.

2.     Think OUTSIDE the box when it comes to kids. Are we going the extra mile and thinking of OUTSIDE the box solutions to everyday problems? Each day as educational leaders we are faced with issues that take OUTSIDE the box thinking in order for students to be best served. Take time and don’t be afraid to try something new and think OUTSIDE the box.

3.     Everyone gets inspiration from different places. Sometimes when we are constantly looking for new/fresh ideas from your colleagues we need an OUTSIDE perspective. I encourage everyone to seek ideas OUTSIDE of their school site and even OUTSIDE of your district. Learn from each other and don’t be afraid to be OUTSIDE of your school site for a day and go learn from another school.

4.     Get my family OUTSIDE and spend time together. Educate my kids on what means to love the outdoors and teach them all the benefits of living an outdoor lifestyle. As parents it is our job to get our kids OUTSIDE and teach them to love and appreciate nature.

5.     In a time of political uncertainty and uncertain futures, think of OUTSIDE ways we can stay positive and upbeat for our students and families. If we can keep our political and personal issues OUTSIDE of the classroom, we will be able to bring it every day for kids. Choose your attitude!


I encourage you get OUTSIDE of the office, to think OUTSIDE the box, learn from OUTSIDE your school, spend time with those you love OUTSIDE, and leave your personal issues OUTSIDE of school. Have an amazing 2017 and never stop getting OUTSIDE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interactivity and Engagement In Elementary School Classrooms

The power of yes...

Keep Them Moving