Be Real



Be Real. It seems so simple, yet too often we come across individuals that are anything but real. As you walk down the street or open up magazines you are constantly seeing individuals who are anything but real. People tell you what you want to hear, not necessarily what they believe. I hear people all the time claiming they stand for something, but their actions say something completely different. Our words hold so much power until our words don't match up with our actions and then our words are just words. Life could be so much richer, if we surround ourselves with people who are real.

Years ago I walked into an interview for vice principal of an elementary school interview and the questions came in the order that I expected. At the very end of the interview they asked if I had closing statement, which was something I had experienced before.  However, this day I decided to change the way I answered. I wanted to be real.

I went on to tell them that if I was hired they would be getting six different people. My kids and my wife would become part of our school community and part of our staff family. I will not sacrifice my family for a job. I am a passionate educator who absolutely loves their job, but I am a father and husband first. I told the panel that if they wanted someone who was at school every night until 8pm, then I was not your guy. I would be going home in the evening to see my family, however I will work from home after my kids were in bed.

I felt that I could of told the panel what they wanted to hear or I could be real. There is no reason to deviate from your personal ideals to tell someone what they want to hear. Unfortunately too many people say that they are something, when in reality they are not.

The fact that I am dad as helped me as an educator. Every year I explain to parents that you will not find me at school late at night, because I am at home with my family. I do not live at school, I have four children who I love very much. I take my role as a principal very seriously. As I make decisions, I am looking through three different lenses. I look through the eyes of a teacher, a principal, and a dad. Parents and I don't always see eye to eye, but I believe that what I am doing is in the best interest of their child because of the lenses I am looking through.

We must show others that it is okay to be real. We must own who we are. We all talk a big talk, but now is the time to walk the walk. We must show kids that is okay to be themselves and continue to be someone who is not fake. Be The One who is real.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes You Go Back, To Go Forward

Be the One...Who Stays Positive

Be The One... That Connects With Kids