Stop Making Excuses



I don't have enough time. 
My custodial staff cannot get to it. 
I am waiting for someone else to do it. 

Every school has someone who has said one of those three phrases. Time, staff, and certain district level roles are sometimes limiting schools on how they can get things done. As a leader in any business or school, you need to do whatever it takes to get things done. As a principal, vice principal, or teacher, I have never been above doing whatever it takes. If I need to show up to school in my work clothes and bring my drill, then you better believe that is what I am doing. 

A few years ago I was working at a school that needed another office built to house a counselor. After submitting a work order and waiting months, something needed to happen. I made a trip to the hardware store and quickly split one big office into two smaller offices. I built a wall because that is what was needed for my staff and for my students. 

Later in the year there was a an old home economics room that needed to be transformed into a special education classroom and the process was taking way to long. My principal and I spent 8 hours taking each cabinet down and making the room a conducive learning environment, making no excuses for students to succeed. 

Lately, I have been asking my custodial staff where they needed me. I have waxed floors, delivered desks, assembled furniture, cleaned tables, and much more. I do it because I do not want there to be any excuses for kids. Not only does it make sure that we have no excuses, but it shows everyone that I am here for them. My custodial staff loves it and it shows kids that I love my school and am willing to do anything for them. 

Be the one that stops making excuses and just gets it done. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes You Go Back, To Go Forward

Be the One...Who Stays Positive

Be The One... That Connects With Kids