Be the One... Who Loves Their Job




What gets you excited each day? Do you love your job? 

This is the time of the year, where many people in education are counting down to the end of the year. I am excited to spend time with family and have some time off, however I am sad to see the year end. My first year as a principal has been amazing! 

I have conversations everyday with people that have chosen all different types of career paths. I have friends in finances, construction, farming, medicine and even the oil business. Typically after a few minutes talking, there is a pause and then there is some kind of comment. Ryan, you really have fun at work. Yes I do! I love my job. 

Do you have fun at work? What makes that happen?

In the past 13 years, I have taught at 12 schools (some years 6 a week) and was a vice principal for two years at a high school. My journey to principalship was very purposeful and a huge learning experience. The journey was tough, but extremely worth it because I have got to the point that I love my job. I get to wake up each day and spend time with teachers, parents and students. The days that I get to crawl on the ground with kindergartners, sit in bean bags with 1st graders, or just sit with 5th graders are precious. I get to see what learning looks like through their eyes. This was not always the case. There were many difficult days that I debated if I had chosen the correct career path. I decided that in order to get through the day and make a positive impact, I chose my attitude and mindset. No matter how much someone loves their job, there will be tough days. When you pull into the parking lot, leave the negativity in the car and come in with a positive attitude. 

Are you making a difference?

We all want a purpose. We all want to make a difference.

If being a 1st year principal wasn't busy enough, I was offered a position as an adjunct professor. Of course, I jumped at the opportunity. The class I taught was a credential class for special education teachers, many of whom are all ready in the classroom. As the class wrapped up, one of my students approached me. She wanted to thank me for renewing her love of education and restoring faith in the system. She caught me off guard. She continued to say that she could see that I loved my job and wish that more people shared the passion for kids. That's all it takes. Love your job and your passion shines through. 

I challenge you to find something that you love and let your passion shine. 

Be the one who shows kids that someone can love their job.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone Needs An Advocate

Be the One Who Makes School A Positive Memory

Get Connected and Build Relationships