Slow it down... the end of the year is coming.


Put on your running shoes and get ready for the race. The end of the school year is on the horizon and the rest of the year is going to go by fast. We can almost see the finish line.

My first year as a principal is almost over and in some respects I feel like it just started. I heard someone counting down the days until summer is here and the class moves on to the next grade. I am counting the days down that I have left to make those connections and make a difference. Have I done enough is becoming more and more of a thought in my head during this time of year.

Motivation is what keeps us getting up each morning and being our best for kids. As I reflect on my motivation this year, there are 5 things that were instrumental in making a difference in my principal journey.



Technology: This year we have gone from 0-100 in regards to technology. It has been systematic, with purpose, and it has been amazing. It's been so much fun seeing teachers learn and grow together. We took the time for teachers to learn and play with different technologies, so they can go back to students and feel more comfortable. We have used technology to create and to get to know our students better. I wanted to change the way we did announcements this year. Now, each Friday students come into my office and shoot touch cast news and we get a chance to talk about life and school.

Instructional Leader: Coming from a high school setting, where school discipline takes up so much time of a Vice Principals day, it has been inspiring to be in classrooms and working on reshaping our instructional framework. I have been re-invigorated looking at intervention, ELD, special education, and good teaching practices. I have learned what elementary school curriculum looks like and how we can utilize different tools to drive instruction.

Social Media: Twitter has been a huge source of motivation for me this year. It has allowed me to get professional development any time of the day and even in my pajamas. Pairing twitter, Instagram, and other outlets has allowed me to tell the story of our school and I have seen the stories of schools across the world.

Blogging: I started blogging at the beginning of the year and it has been extremely powerful. People always ask, how do you have time to blog? I make time! It is a way for me to reflect on my practices and get my thoughts on paper. It is a way for me to have a voice. I encourage everyone to take the leap and write a blog. Just do it!

PLN: The power of a PLN should never be underestimated. Since being introduced to #principalsinaction by a friend, Adam Welcome, my life as a principal will never be the same. This group offers encouragement when needed, ideas when you are stuck, and motivation when it is necessary. We push each other to be the best for kids each and every day. I have been so fortunate to belong to multiple PLN's from across the country and one in my district. Our PLN #admindads provides a laugh when needed and gives me people to bounce ideas off of. Get connected and see the power for yourself.

Find things that motivate you and keep you grounded. Find something that can keep you moving in the right direction. Be the one that motivates others to do their best for kids!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes You Go Back, To Go Forward

Be the One...Who Stays Positive

Be The One... That Connects With Kids