Be The One... That Connects With Kids


There are certain times in the year, where educators retreat to their offices/classrooms to get work done. I admit, sometimes closing my office door and wheeling my chair over, sounds appealing. The idea of having time to plan and deal with the plant management components of school sounds appealing.

When you feel that closing the door sounds good, it's time that you need to ask yourself, “How did I connect with kids today?” Just recently, I have been losing sleep over some decisions and how we can flip our schools focus. Due to parent meetings, IEP’s, and other office tasks I have not been outside connecting as much as I want. Today is the day that all changes. I got outside and went on the swings with some 4th graders. We laughed, we talked, and they reminded me why I am here.

Relationships matter! Spending time with these kids inside or outside of the classroom can change their lives. 11 years ago, when I was teaching 4th/5th grade physical education at multiple elementary schools I connected with a family that has created an awesome relationship.

Eddie was a 4th grade boy that was being pulled into a life of gangs. He was looking for that person that believed in him and wanted something different. He came from a strong home with a wonderful mom and dad, however he just wanted to be cool and like one of the neighborhood kids.

I was at his school every Tuesday. Whenever my PE team would come onto the blacktop, here came Eddie to fill me in on his struggles and victories of the week. We would talk at recess, while jumping rope. We connected in a way that he knew that I believed in him and would be there if he needed it.

At the end of his 5th grade year he was telling me how much he loved soccer, but didn’t have a ball to play with. I decided that I wanted to send him off to middle school with a soccer ball. I remember giving it to him and him being so excited. First time anyone ever asked for my autograph.

My wife and I still run into Eddie and his family occasionally at the grocery store.  He has graduated from high school and is in college now. We always talked about how important the relationships were that he built with teachers throughout school.

It all started with a teacher that had a conversation with a student about life. Connect with students each day and try to connect with different students, so all students know you care.


Be the one that connects with kids everyday!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the reminder, Ryan!! It is so easy to be "pulled in" to the office, but where we make the most difference is side by side with kids!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes You Go Back, To Go Forward

Be the One...Who Stays Positive