Change The Game


As a vice principal of a high school, I would talk to students about book fines and when they would return their $150 textbook. When I was named a elementary principal, I though we send books home, why don't we send technology home?

Sending home technology can build students leaders, empower teachers, and create a positive parent/school relationship.



This year has been a huge year for technology at my site. Last year they had two computer labs and now we have: 2 computer labs, 200 chrome books, 30 iPads, 30 spheros, 8 ozobots, 8 osmos, and a drone. Some look at those numbers and say we have to much, we need to focus more on math and reading. I disagree, technology does not replace curriculum, it enhances it. At our site, my goal is to use technology not as a time filler but as a way for students to create, build capacity, critical thinking skills, collaboration, and creativity.

When talking with teachers, I tend to hear that there is never enough time in the day to get everything done and there is a need to either send something home or eliminate within the classroom day. My rebuttal is always, if students and teachers are more effective and can critically think than we will have more time. These conversations with teachers led to the discuss with Adam Welcome and how we can more effectively use technology.

In December, I sent home two sphero's and two iPads with students on a Friday night. Within two hours, I was getting pictures from parents and notes of appreciation. They were so excited that their kids found something that used their brain and that their kids were so excited. When they came to the office on Monday to return their devices, they were beaming with excitement. We took this opportunity to sit down and debrief about the experience and how they can help others learn. Both students happened to be in the same fifth grade class and went back and told their classmates about the experience. They are now student tech leaders in their class and are showing others how to utilize the tools and problem solve.

These two students have trained multiple students, who in turn trained other students. We now have upper grade students supporting primary classes and working with students in the classroom tech labs. It is a magical sight to see, each time I walk into a class to see the mentoring occur.

When I first sent home technology home with kids, I was not sure how teachers would feel. I was worried that they might think I was crazy! In fact, it showed the value that I put on technology in our schools and for our kids. It showed that I want books in kids hands and technology their to support. Some of my teachers, who were not pro technology, got excited for something different. Teachers now have embraced the change in thinking, and are utilizing the students that participate to be their tech leaders within their classroom. All you need to do is give the opportunity!

Parents love the idea of sending home technology. I have parents come back each week saying that doing this has taught their students to be responsible for something. Many think that sending home technology means kids will break it or lose it. The opposite is true, kids don't want to disappoint, raise the bar and they will rise.

Take the risk and start sending technology home. Empower your students and your students will rise to the occasion. Empowered students and teachers take schools from good to great.

Be the one that changes the game in education. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes You Go Back, To Go Forward

Be the One...Who Stays Positive

Be The One... That Connects With Kids